Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Playing Lambs

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the house again!?" Probably one of the most renowned lines from an excellent movie and book. However, it has nothing to do with the meal I created last night.

So, I had this whole thing set in my mind, make a marinade, marinate some lamb chops and pan fry 'em to a delicious medium with some mashed potatoes and veggies. The first time I tried this last week, I had a lamb leg because I couldn't get chops, very disappointing indeed. I actually bought 2 just in case. The first time just was not worth mentioning so I didn't even bother.

The second time, however, I made the marinade and marinaded the leg for about 6 hours. It started with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Tossed in a good amount of herbs de Provence, pink Himalayan salt, pepper, a dash of paprika, chopped onion, and garlic powder. Really just wanted to get that flavor into the lamb. I really feel as though this would have worked out so much better with lamb chops than a boneless leg.

Nonetheless, after marinading it for the 6 hours, I popped it into the oven and just baked it for a good hour in a half. About half way into that I decided to start on the potatoes, took some good Golden Yukon and Russet potatoes. Washed and chopped them up with the skins on. Leaving the skins on your potatoes when you mash them helps you get the nutrients and what not hiding in the skins that we like to miss. The first batch with the first leg, I even took a leek and chopped up the white part of it and threw it in with the potatoes while they boiled. Really gave it an onion-y flavor it needed.

After the lamb was finished and the potatoes were mashed I let the lamb sit before carving it out, and then I sliced it as best I could with my not the best of all knives. Nonetheless, the lamb did turn out quite flavorful, it could have been a little less well done in my opinion, but I followed the cooking directions given for it so as to not under cook this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment